OPEN REEF - ΤΟ ΕΙΔΙΚΟ ΦΟΡΟΥΜ ΓΙΑ ΕΝΥΔΡΕΙΑ ΥΦΑΛΩΝ

ΘΑΛΑΣΣΙΝΑ ΕΝΥΔΡΕΙΑ, ΚΑΤΑΔΥΣΕΙΣ, ΦΩΤΟΓΡΑΦΙΑ, ΟΙΚΟΛΟΓΙΑ, ΠΑΡΕΑ !
Τώρα είναι 28 Μαρ 2024, 16:09

Όλοι οι χρόνοι είναι UTC + 2 ώρες

Δημιουργία νέου θέματος Απαντήστε στο θέμα  [ 7 Δημοσιεύσεις ] 
Συγγραφέας Μήνυμα
 Θέμα δημοσίευσης: Moving to Greece
#8597 Δημοσιεύτηκε: 08 Ιούλ 2007, 05:52 
Χωρίς σύνδεση
Άβαταρ μέλους

Kali spera,

My name is Craig (I also go by Gregory). On ReefCentral I stated a dialog with Thanos about moving to Greece and he told me that I may find some useful information if I posted my questions here. I’ll start with a little about me.

Currently, I live in Florida USA, own a LFS (local fish store) (www.bioreef.com) and participate in coral farming. This is a family business and the principle owner (my father) wants to retire and sell the business. I hold a master’s degree in marine biology, a bachelor’s degree in wildlife ecology and a minor in classical studies. My wife has a bachelor’s degree in nursing. We are 27 and 32 years old. We are interested in the prospect of moving to Greece. I took ancient Greek in college and I am currently learning Modern Greek. We do not qualify for EU citizenship. We would like to start our own business, but would also entertain the idea of employment. We would like to operate a pension and/or start an export business for ceramics, Lakonian olive oil and/or other unique Greek products for the USA market. Otherwise, I would be interested in working in my field of either wildlife or marine biology. I would also be interested in the prospect of working in international trade. We wish to do this to expand our horizons as global citizens as opposed to staying isolated here in America. Of course, we need to find a way to make a living and this is where we were hoping you could help.

In October I will be taking a tour group to Athens, Nafplio, Sparta and Monemvasia. I will arrive ahead of my party and am looking for a room to rent in Athens. I know people commonly rent out rooms in other parts of Greece, but I'm not sure about Athens. Therefore, if you know anyone who does, please let me know. I'm on a fairly tight budget (at least tight enough that I can't afford to spend 100 euros a night for a hotel for an entire month), so I don't plan on using hotels until the rest of my group arrives. The other option is a hostel. If you know of any that are safe and CLEAN, that would be great also. I realize that you live there and don't likely know since you've never been in need of accommodations, but perhaps you know of someone. My need for a room will be at some point between Oct. 9 and Oct. 17. The rest of the trip I will be staying with my group at a hotel in Monestraki.

During my visit before the rest of the group arrives I will be exploring how I could live and work in Greece. So, I have several needs that pertain to this.

I would like to meet with an Attorney who can answer my questions on the legal aspects of a foreigner living in Greece such as:
Can I rent out rooms and run a pension or hotel?
If I wish to become naturalized, would I be able to keep my US citizenship as well? ??
How would I be taxed?
What restrictions are there on foreigners running businesses in Greece?
Could I run a tour guide business?
Of course, I have many more.

I would greatly appreciate the response of anybody who has contacts in the olive oil, earthenware (ceramic bowls, plates etc.) and/or other businesses with potentially exportable products. Also, contact with anyone in the international shipping business would also be helpful.

If there is any information on public aquariums in Greece, I would be interested in seeking employment there.

I could also use some recommendations for restaurants, tavernas, and caf?s in central Athens and in Nafplio.

This is a long and complicated topic and I really appreciate your taking the time to read it. Any response would be even more appreciated.

Thank you very much,
Craig

Κορυφή
 Προφίλ  

Θέμα δημοσίευσης:
#8626 Δημοσιεύτηκε: 08 Ιούλ 2007, 08:30 
Χωρίς σύνδεση
Montipora (2000+)
Montipora (2000+)
Άβαταρ μέλους

Hello Gregory.
My name is john.
Since I come from Laconia and especially near Monemvasia, I know that the only way to get big amount of olive oil, is to get in contact with some locals distributors. Those have also oil press (the machines that make olives to olives oil). The entire small producer sends there their olives. I think that this is the only way to get some extra good quality of oil.
If you are interesting, I will try to gather some information’s about them. I am planning to visit Laconia in August.

Here in Greece we have a large public aquarium named “thalassocosmos” in Crete.
It is very new. Check out the link.

I hope that you can manage to come back in Greece.

Best regards John.

Κορυφή
 Προφίλ  

Θέμα δημοσίευσης:
#8655 Δημοσιεύτηκε: 08 Ιούλ 2007, 10:53 
Χωρίς σύνδεση
Acropora (3000+)
Acropora (3000+)
Άβαταρ μέλους

Blog: View Blog (1)
Experience in Years: 11
Type of Aquarium: Quite Big (1000+)
Welcome Grigori !

Panos will be here shortly to help with the Nafplio questions and perhaps like Yiannis help you with the olive oil questions.

Pottery - ceramics : this is Sifnos Island, I will be there next week.

Lawyer : ANYONE ???

Κορυφή
 Προφίλ Personal album  

Θέμα δημοσίευσης:
#8699 Δημοσιεύτηκε: 09 Ιούλ 2007, 05:05 
Χωρίς σύνδεση
Άβαταρ μέλους

Thanks for the replies. It would be great to know who some of the better oil distributors are. I’d like to do some bulk oils and some top quality estate oils as well. It would also be interesting to do a town specific line as well. So, there would be a Xirokambio oil and Sparta oil.....etc. I’ll check out the Aquarium in Kriti and look into ceramics on Sifnos on the internet.
Cheers,
Grigori

Κορυφή
 Προφίλ  

Θέμα δημοσίευσης:
#10636 Δημοσιεύτηκε: 07 Σεπ 2007, 19:44 
Χωρίς σύνδεση
Άβαταρ μέλους

I am so sorry for your recent pain and suffering due to the fires. My heart goes out to all of you whom have been affected.
As you know I will be leading a tour there in a month. Does anyone know the condition of Mystra and Sparti. From the maps I have seen it looks as though that area was hit pretty hard. I'm not sure how this will effect the trip. I don't want to bring a group of vacationers to such a sad scene. However, if the area is still viable for tourism, I would like the group to spend their money there where it is needed so badly.
Also, as I will be there 10 days in advance I would be interested in taking a couple of days to help the relief effort if there is anything I can do. I can do anything from clearing rubble to liming soil and planting seeds (I have some forestry experience); let me know.
Gregori

Κορυφή
 Προφίλ  

Θέμα δημοσίευσης:
#10638 Δημοσιεύτηκε: 07 Σεπ 2007, 21:00 
Χωρίς σύνδεση
Montipora (2000+)
Montipora (2000+)
Άβαταρ μέλους

Hi Gregori,

Good to sharing your concern with us!

It would be a good idea to plan a trip to your home country, especially in now days where all Greeks, inside and outside Greece, are suffering from this great catastrophe and trying to stand up on their feet.

Thankfully, fire did not harm neither Sparti nor Mystra but some villages on Parnona Mountain which is just opposite Taygetos, at the bottom of which Mystras is situated. No doubt your friends would spend a great time there and why not to plan an excursion to Monemvasia (1.5 hours long) and walk over the medieval castle.

The scientists here in Greece claim that we must do nothing in the forests at least for the time being, since Mother Nature knows better and will take action in a physical manner. Most probably if people start planting trees or cleaning up the forest (with no specific guidelines), they will harm it. At this point of time we need to let nature pave the way and then the scientists specialized in forests they will advise on the next steps.

If however you feel like offering help, you may deposit some money to specific bank accounts or give food & clothing to specific organizations like Erythros Stavros.

Nice talking to you
John

Κορυφή
 Προφίλ  

Θέμα δημοσίευσης:
#10646 Δημοσιεύτηκε: 07 Σεπ 2007, 22:01 
Χωρίς σύνδεση
Άβαταρ μέλους

Thank you for your response John. Greece is not actually my home country, it is more like my adopted country. Being an American, I have ancestry to at LEAST 8 European countries from Ireland to Russia. That is why I can't claim citizenship in any of them and am desperately trying to find a way to gain entry to the EU so I can live in Europe (Greece) for at least a while.
Towards the end of our trip, half of the group is going home early and my parents, my wife and I will be spending 2 nights in Monemvasia.
I was thinking more along the lines of planting olive seeds in burned out groves if that sort of activity is going on. I'll do anything that will help as long as I'm now in anybody's way. I have donated to the local Orthodox church's relief fund , but I like the direct approach of "boots on the ground" as well.

Cheers,
Gregori

Κορυφή
 Προφίλ  

Τελευταίες δημοσιεύσεις:  Ταξινόμηση ανά  
Δημιουργία νέου θέματος Απαντήστε στο θέμα  [ 7 Δημοσιεύσεις ] 

Όλοι οι χρόνοι είναι UTC + 2 ώρες

Μέλη σε σύνδεση

Μέλη σε αυτή την Δ. Συζήτηση: Δεν υπάρχουν εγγεγραμμένα μέλη και 22 επισκέπτες

Δεν μπορείτε να δημοσιεύετε νέα θέματα σε αυτή τη Δ. Συζήτηση
Δεν μπορείτε να απαντάτε σε θέματα σε αυτή τη Δ. Συζήτηση
Δεν μπορείτε να επεξεργάζεστε τις δημοσιεύσεις σας σε αυτή τη Δ. Συζήτηση