OPEN REEF - ΤΟ ΕΙΔΙΚΟ ΦΟΡΟΥΜ ΓΙΑ ΕΝΥΔΡΕΙΑ ΥΦΑΛΩΝ

ΘΑΛΑΣΣΙΝΑ ΕΝΥΔΡΕΙΑ, ΚΑΤΑΔΥΣΕΙΣ, ΦΩΤΟΓΡΑΦΙΑ, ΟΙΚΟΛΟΓΙΑ, ΠΑΡΕΑ !
Τώρα είναι 28 Μαρ 2024, 22:25

Όλοι οι χρόνοι είναι UTC + 2 ώρες

Δημιουργία νέου θέματος Αυτό το θέμα είναι κλειδωμένο, δεν μπορείτε να επεξεργαστείτε δημοσιεύσεις ή να δημοσιεύσετε άλλες απαντήσεις  [ 4 Δημοσιεύσεις ] 
Συγγραφέας Μήνυμα
 Θέμα δημοσίευσης: The Greenhouse Project
#7561 Δημοσιεύτηκε: 11 Ιουν 2007, 15:42 
Χωρίς σύνδεση
Άβαταρ μέλους

hello, my friends :)

It feels like only a short time since I was "flying" around Athens with friends in Greece in excitement about coral propagation. But in the weeks since, I have been keeping busy "tieing up loose ends" to finish smaller projects in preparation for the BIG project this year (and the subject of this thread) :D

Since my visit to Greece, I have lectured in three more cities, finished the new issue of my reef magazine (you will see that soon in Greece... all subscriptions were airmailed this past week) and made a nice presentation for the magazine at a big trade show in Chicago. Things are progressing nicely (as usual). I am blessed and happy to be able to "work" at something I love so dearly (hobby business).

During my travels this past month, I have been preparing an article to launch this thread, which I expect to be a HUGE project for us all :) Folks that have read or worked with me on other message boards will recognize my habit to spread around such information on a wide range of websites... I move around the message boards like I move around the world :) Always exploring new places to teach and learn new information.

After meeting you all, I realized it was here that I want to share the next big project of my life with hopes that it will entertain and teach fellow reef enthusiasts in Greece, Europe and other places in the world that find our thread in this corner of the Internet.

I will make new posts in sequential order of progress detailing the construction of my new Greenhouses that will include a wet lab, photography area, quaratine (of course!) and yes... some displays too :)

Above all... I hope to demonstrate my current perspective on how private hobbyists can help the hobby and the reefs through productive farming of corals, for charity or profit.

I promise to have the first installment over to you very soon. I try to be such a perfectionist sometimes in my writing (I don't know if that hurts or helps me :)) but we will see if you agree :D For the rest of the summer then I will document the construction progress.

I look forward to reading your comments and working together to advance our hobby through wonderful networks like this. Please be sure to share the information with other reef enthusiats in kind.

best regards,

Anthony

Κορυφή
 Προφίλ  

Θέμα δημοσίευσης:
#9910 Δημοσιεύτηκε: 11 Αύγ 2007, 10:24 
Χωρίς σύνδεση
Άβαταρ μέλους

Cheers, my friends :lol:

Today, we begin what I propose will be another wonderful journey of exploration in the aquarium hobby. As many of you know, or will soon, I am a passionate mentor (and student!) of aquatic science. As aquarium hobbyists, we each have diverse - yet fundamentally similar - interests in the keeping of reef species and other aquatic creatures. For some people, the great attraction is the academic aspect of reef science that we study and teach our friends, children and others. Through our aquariums, we learn biology, chemistry... physics, carpentry, sometimes electrical engineering (Ha!), and much more. We also entertain dreams about travel and diving (virtual and memorial of past trips) in our personal slice of the ocean. Photography and even commerce in animal husbandry via propagation efforts are also of great appeal. Of course, the greatest appeal of reef aquaria to many of us is simply admiring the intrinsic beauty of living jewels of the ocean. Whatever your attraction is to the aquarium hobby, rest assured that there are legions of fellow aquarists passionate about the same specific things that you are interested in.

In that spirit, I wish to share with you my latest journey in the construct of a new greenhouse and laboratory for reef creature culture and study. In addition to coral and fish farming, I will also detail other aspects that amateur and professional aquarists are typically interested such as photography and small business issues. You will see all of my equipment and husbandry choices, and you are invited to ask any questions about these topics or any other aquatic issue! After twenty years and a half million miles flown around the world, I have the experience or at least an informed opinion about most any aspect of our hobby and the industry that supports it. Please don’t be shy to ask me anything at all :wink:

For the benefit of our friends and future readers, we will build this thread in multiple parts. The illustrated tutorial on the facility evolution will be a closed thread (no posting) so that it stays tidy and more easily readable in time. This is especially helpful for very large threads which can otherwise become cluttered with off-topic and off-shoot posts.

For active discussions (posting) about the tutorial thread and any components of it, I am kindly asking that forum members make separate posts with descriptive (and specific) titles. If a thread inspires a thought or question about an interesting off-topic matter, please simply make a new thread with that topic title. This will all – again – greatly help our future and fellow aquarists that find the content we are building in the archives. For example, if we turn a thread about anemone propagation into one about lighting, how then will someone looking for lighting info know to look into the anemone thread?

So let us begin our journey!

I have spent another year of great travel around the world… with a very special trip to Greece! :wink: And I have made many pictures with great stories that I look forward to sharing with you. Shortly, I will leave for Africa to make my last big rip of 2007. On my return, later in August, I will retire to the wet lab and greenhouse for many months of final construction and upgrades to share.

Many aspects of the project can be translated to your personal interests. Please have a very open mind and let yourself dream! A lean-to greenhouse could be a seed of inspiration for a simple conversion of a sunny apartment balcony. Or the basement fishroom could be the model for converting the back of a car garage for coral culture. The commercial anemone-farming example could be reduced to a still-profitable “farming” refugium added onto or expanded from your current reef display (even a small space can be very productive). And if the photos or video are a strong appeal to you, do consider if you can convert a single clothing closet into a miniature photography studio with controlled light in a tidy space and a rotating mini-reef (on a spinning food platter) for amazing photo opportunities!

If you have an aquatic dream but don’t quite have the vision yet to make it a reality, let us help you to enjoy your hobby and to inspire others: tell us your goals and we will work together to find a solution.

In shared admiration of the sea,

Anthony Calfo

Κορυφή
 Προφίλ  

Θέμα δημοσίευσης:
#9911 Δημοσιεύτηκε: 11 Αύγ 2007, 10:26 
Χωρίς σύνδεση
Άβαταρ μέλους

Attached are simple diagrams and a pic of the small GH that will cap the wet laboratory. This is a fairly simple construction that hobbyists can do if they have access to a garage...

Εικόνα

Εικόνα

Κορυφή
 Προφίλ  

Θέμα δημοσίευσης:
#9912 Δημοσιεύτηκε: 11 Αύγ 2007, 10:26 
Χωρίς σύνδεση
Άβαταρ μέλους

Εικόνα

Εικόνα

Εικόνα

Εικόνα

Εικόνα

Κορυφή
 Προφίλ  

Τελευταίες δημοσιεύσεις:  Ταξινόμηση ανά  
Δημιουργία νέου θέματος Αυτό το θέμα είναι κλειδωμένο, δεν μπορείτε να επεξεργαστείτε δημοσιεύσεις ή να δημοσιεύσετε άλλες απαντήσεις  [ 4 Δημοσιεύσεις ] 

Όλοι οι χρόνοι είναι UTC + 2 ώρες

Μέλη σε σύνδεση

Μέλη σε αυτή την Δ. Συζήτηση: Δεν υπάρχουν εγγεγραμμένα μέλη και 4 επισκέπτες

Δεν μπορείτε να δημοσιεύετε νέα θέματα σε αυτή τη Δ. Συζήτηση
Δεν μπορείτε να απαντάτε σε θέματα σε αυτή τη Δ. Συζήτηση
Δεν μπορείτε να επεξεργάζεστε τις δημοσιεύσεις σας σε αυτή τη Δ. Συζήτηση
Δεν μπορείτε να διαγράφετε τις δημοσιεύσεις σας σε αυτή τη Δ. Συζήτηση
Δεν μπορείτε να επισυνάπτετε αρχεία σε αυτή τη Δ. Συζήτηση

Μετάβαση σε:  

TapaTalk Enabled